An electric patio heater can help you enjoy time outdoors, even when winter weather is in full swing. This means you can relax solo or socialize with friends and family on your patio or deck even when it’s cold outside.
Read on to learn about the benefits of an electric unit over other types of patio heaters. We’ll also provide a few electric patio heater options if you’re ready to keep your outside space warm year round.
The Benefits of Electric Patio Heaters
In general, there are three main types of patio heaters:
- Natural gas
While all three can certainly keep an outdoor space toasty warm, the electric models have features that make them stand out:
- Unlike propane and gas patio heaters, electric heaters don’t require ventilation so you can use them in an enclosed area like a deck or pergola
- Electric patio heaters are discreet and usually smaller than propane or gas heaters
- Electric heaters project heat through halogen or infrared light which means they produce fewer emissions than gas or propane heaters
- You can plug an electric heater into a regular outlet, so they’re very user-friendly and are ready to use right out of the box
- Electric heaters can keep you warm more efficiently than most natural gas or propane options
What Styles of Electric Patio Heaters Can I Buy?
If you decided that an electric patio heater is your best option, now it’s time to select your style.
In general, electric patio heaters come in these options:
- Wall or ceiling mount
- Pole mount
Let’s take a closer look at each kind of electric patio heater:
Keep Warm With Electric Ceiling or Wall Mount Patio Heaters
Did you know that you can mount most ceiling-mount electric patio heaters on a wall as well? This makes them versatile and convenient.
An electric ceiling or wall heater is ideal when you’re looking for a concentrated amount of heat output. For example, if you live in an area that gets extremely cold during the winter. And while they do tend to be a bit on the pricey side, they do generate a lot of heat.
For example, you can mount the Infratech Contemporary Series of heaters on a wall or ceiling.
This model offers a number of features, including:
- Suitable for ceilings from 6–10 ft in height
- It’s made from durable stainless steel
- It’s available in 1,500–4,000 watts and 120–480 volts, so you can choose which amount of power you need for your outdoor space
- Its sleek design helps it blend into the background
Free Standing Models Are Portable & Powerful
If you want to move your electric patio heater around, or even take it to a friend’s or relative’s home, a free-standing model may be the way to go.
For instance, the E-GLOW Premium Tower Heater from East Oak has a handle to make it extremely portable. It also has a cord that’s almost 7 ft long, so it’s easy to move around your outdoor space.
Other features of this tower heater include:
- A nanocrystal glass-ceramic screen, which prevents heat loss
- Safety features that prevent overheating and tipping over
- Durability to withstand harsh weather conditions
- A remote control that works from over 16 ft away
- Infrared radiation heating, which will directly warm the body, rather than the cold air
Stay Toasty With an Electric Pole Heater
As its name implies, this type of electric patio heater features a slim pole with the heater mounted at the top.
For example, the Pole Mounted Infrared Patio Heater from Fire Sense looks great and is more affordable to run than propane heaters.
This pole heater has a number of great features, including:
- Wheels for easy portability
- Easy to turn on and off with a toggle switch
- A tip-over protection system for safety
- 6-ft electrical cord
- Capability to produce a 9-ft blanket of heat
Enjoy Your Patio All Winter Long
If you love being outside year round, an electric patio heater will allow you to do just that. Thanks to the help of a wall, ceiling, tower, or pole electric heater, you can enjoy the beauty of your outside space even if the weather is less than perfect.