Maybe you visited a friend who uses an aroma diffuser in their living room to help them feel calmer, or perhaps you read an article about potential health benefits of using an aroma diffuser with essential oils. Now you’re thinking about getting one for yourself, but don’t know quite where to begin.
Keep reading to find out the answers to some questions you may have about aroma diffusers, including:
- Their potential health benefits
- How they differ from candles
- Which models to buy
How Aroma Diffusers Work
An aroma diffuser is also known as an essential oil diffuser. It releases essential oils into the air in the form of mist.
More specifically, an aroma diffuser contains a small ceramic disc on the inside. When you fill the diffuser with water and an essential oil and turn on the machine, the disc will start to vibrate.
This vibration causes ultrasonic waves to break up the oil into microscopic pieces. The diffuser will then disperse the mix of water and tiny particles of oil into the air.
The Pros & Cons of an Aroma Diffuser
The main benefit of an aroma diffuser centers around its ability to release essential oils into a room. The jury is still out over whether essential oils have any medicinal properties, but there have been studies that have suggested:
- Essential oils like lavender and chamomile may help you sleep better, as well as relieve stress
- Tea tree and eucalyptus essential oils may boost the immune system
- Essential oils like peppermint and eucalyptus may also help with headaches, sore muscles, and other health issues
In addition, an essential oil diffuser can do double duty as a humidifier, helping to add moisture to dry air, which in turn may help you breathe easier.
As for the cons of using an aroma diffuser, consider the following:
- High-quality essential oils can be expensive, so getting started with an aroma diffuser can be a bit of an investment
- Determining which essential oils benefit you the most may take some trial and error
- You may be allergic to an essential oil
Not all essential oils are created equally, so read reviews carefully to be sure you’re getting the best quality.
If you’re allergic to a particular oil, you may experience a mild rash or itching. If you do experience any sort of reaction stop using the essential oil immediately. And as always, it’s a good idea to consult with a medical professional before you start using essential oils.
Aroma Diffusers vs Scented Candles
If you’re a fan of scented candles, you may wonder if an aroma diffuser is really worth it. While you don’t have to toss your collection of wax candles, consider the following benefits of an aroma diffuser over candles:
- You don’t need matches or a lighter
- It doesn’t have an open flame
- It will last for years
- You can create customized scents with a combination of essential oils
So if you’re ready to buy an essential oil diffuser, this handy guide can help you select the best one for you:
Enjoy Relaxing Color & Scent Together With the ASAKUKI Essential Oil Diffuser
If you’d like an essential oil diffuser that uses color as well as scent to help relax you, the ASAKUKI Auto 500 Essential Oil Diffuser is a great option.
This aroma diffuser features:
- Eight LED soothing light colors that you can set to change, fix on one color, or turn off completely
- Two misting modes: strong and weak
- A timer with two, four, or six-hour shut off as well as steady-on mode
- 500ml water tank
This diffuser is compact, measuring 6 by 6 ins, but it’s still powerful enough to add scent to an entire room.
The Stone Diffuser from Vitruvi Resembles a Piece of Modern Art
The Stone essential oil diffuser from Vitruvi adds pleasant scents to your home and looks like a sculpture.
This essential oil diffuser:
- Features a matte ceramic cover available in a wide variety of colors
- Can run for four or eight hours at a time
- Diffuses aroma over 500 square feet
Change the Look of Your Diffuser With an Interchangeable Shade Model
You can change not only the types of essential oils you use in your aroma diffuser but also the look of the device, thanks to a diffuser from Scentsy that features interchangeable diffuser shades.
For example, you could start with the Scentsy’s Enchant Diffuser Shade with its attractive cracked glass look.
When you’re ready for something new, Scentsy sells the aromatherapy shades by themselves in a variety of patterns and colors, including the hand-painted Explore, and the Enrich model that features mosaic flower patterns.
No matter which shade you select, the ultrasonic Scentsy aroma diffuser:
- Includes 16 different LED light colors
- Quickly fills the room with scent
- Uses three to four drops of Scentsy oils
- Features a limited lifetime warranty
- Offers a variable mist setting
Aroma Diffusers Bring a Sense of Calm to Your Home
Life can be busy and stressful at times, so it’s nice to know there’s a gadget that may help you feel more relaxed.
And when you use an aroma diffuser with the essential oils of your choice, it can make your home smell great, and may help you feel calm and possibly even sleep better.