If you’d love a special place of your own to relax, rejuvenate, and refresh, a she shed is a great option.
So, if this idea sounds appealing, keep reading to learn how to design and make one of your very own.
Is a She Shed an Actual Shed?
Traditionally, a she shed involves transforming an outdoor garden shed into a place where you can unwind.
But if you don’t have an outdoor storage shed, or don’t wish to purchase one, no worries—you can use a guest room, a finished basement, a home office, or any other structure.
General Tips for Creating a She Shed
Once you’ve selected your space, it’s time to transform it into a place where you can chill and unwind.
To do this the most effectively:
- Choose your theme
- Once you know how you want to use your she shed, think about the furniture and accessories you’ll need
- You can start by “shopping” in your closets and other rooms of the house to find items you can repurpose
- Select paint colors that you love, and that also help set the mood (For instance, if you want to use the space for yoga, you may want to go for soothing blues and greens, instead of fire engine red.)
Design & Theme Ideas to Get You Started
To help inspire your she shed goals, consider the following suggestions:
Retire to a Reading Room
If you’re a bookworm, a she shed devoted to books may be the way to go.
- Start by choosing a comfy chair that’s ideal to curl up in
- Add shelves that you fill with your favorite books
- Make sure there’s plenty of lighting
- If you have an outlet, a small Nespresso coffee maker will allow you to make tasty coffee, and other hot drinks to sip as you work your way through your latest novel
Construct a Crafty Space
A she shed could also be your ideal space for crafting. To make the space as user-friendly as you can:
- Add a large table, as well as a chair or stool
- Choose free-standing units or shelves attached to the walls to organize your supplies
- Make sure you have ample ventilation for those times you’re using paint or anything else that gives off fumes and consider including a ceiling fan or standing fan like the Large Air Circulator from Vornado
Do Yoga in Your Yard
A she shed can be the perfect spot to practice your downward dog, cobra, or warrior yoga poses in peace. To make this possible:
- Remove as much extra clutter as you can so you don’t bump into anything when practicing yoga
- Shop for a yoga mat that you can roll up and store away when not in use
- Include a smart TV if you like to do yoga with the help of YouTube videos
- Consider a small refrigerator for bottles of water, fresh fruit, and other post-yoga snacks
Nurture a Napping Spot
A she shed can be a great place to snooze in peace. So to grab that afternoon cat nap, consider adding:
- An extremely soft and comfortable couch or, if the space allows, a sofa that opens into a bed
- Plenty of fleece blankets and pillows of all sizes
- A SNOOZ white noise machine to help drown out the sounds of the neighborhood or the rest of the house
Create a Coffee Corner
You love nothing more than sipping a cup of joe in peace. So to make this part of your regular routine, turn your she shed a coffee paradise. Here’s how:
- Start with an overstuffed chair or sofa
- Create a counter space to hold a coffee maker like the K-Supreme PlusSingle Serve Coffee Maker by Keurig
- Include shelves on the walls that are ideal to hold coffee cups and other supplies.
- Plan for a small refrigerator and freezer to hold coffee beans, creamers, and snacks
Make Your Space Your Own
One of the best things about a she shed is personalizing it to your hobbies and needs. Once you select your space—whether it’s a garden shed, guest room, or another area in your home—have fun transforming it into the space to help you relax and get away from the stresses of the world.